Tuesday 4 November 2014

Balthazar follow up, article 2

Review
So apparently I was wrong about Balthazar having a biblical ass, it turns about it was Balaam who had a story worthy ass. Either way I don’t think this affected my viewing of the movie all that much.

While on the topic of biblical connections, I wonder if Balthazar the name, is supposed to allude to the donkey being wise [since one of the three wise men was called Balthazar]. However I wonder if the director decided to be extremely daring and the donkey an analogy for Jesus. 
The mother who seems to be a little pragmatic… or perhaps just more agreeable than the other characters does call him a saint, and he is carrying around everyone’s burden. The only problem with that idea is that he does run away from the drunk, which is rather un-messiah like. I also noticed a lot of attention was given to the sounds in the background, I wonder if that’s important. I have a pretty strong feeling the movie is supposed to show you all the various archetypes- the prideful father, the worrisome mother, the wayward youth, the confused young girl, the rich but malevolent uncle etc- in that sense I think the movie did quite well. I guess the rigidity was just in place to reinforce the archetypes.
The film was atypical, it was rather unique in tone and manner [film style, sound etc] it didn't seem to follow the usual manner of storytelling, it avoided all the overblown sentimentality that films about animals have and it was refreshing. I would say I quite like it especially since it did cover quite a lot of archetypes and topics [bad friends/ company, injustice, tragedy wrongdoing]. Everything felt symbolic of something, there seemed to be just around everything in the film, from unjust authority figures to unfeeling lawyers. Despite all this I felt quite annoyed with the film after I saw it as I thought it was trying hard to avoid being straightforward. Why, when you have something to say, make it so hard to figure out? Would anything have really been lost if the film was a little more easy to figure out? Shakespeare wrote plays that were meant for an audience of commoners, I don’t see anyone holding that against him. I just feel annoyed by how I am unable to figure out what exactly the movie is trying to be.

It isn't those normal annoying buckets of sentimentality that most movies about animals are. The story is unique, the characters [although stiff] well done and the ambiance/sound very detailed and interesting. So is that it? Is it just a well made movie with a very un-Hollywood story?  That tries to drive home how the characters, who have similar counterparts in just about every movie or books you see, are actually a little over exaggerated and foolish[In all those books and movies]. If it is, well it’s still a good movie, but I have a headache that’s screaming about symbolism but I don’t see it, maybe that’s a joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment